Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Steve Jobs...the iBastard

This post is coming to you from inside a hotel room within sight of the Fertility Center. We came down this morning for my last estrogen level check and to go over the egg retrieval procedure with the IVF nurse. The appointment went fine and the IVF nurse informed us that my estrogen level was at an almost perfect level...not too high or too low (nice to hear good news). We went over the procedure specifics...all the usual stuff...no eating after midnight, arrive an hour early (another plus to us coming down tonight), etc.). This is the first appointment that I didn't freak out internally at.

Now we have the rest of the day to kill. After trying to check into the hotel early (with no luck), I returned to the car to find out that Brandon had already used the GPS on his phone to find the nearest Apple Store. It's one of the few stores that needs no words on its marquee...just a symbol. You know, that beacon in the night like the bat symbol that calls all to all geeks in every land. Let me preface the rest of this story with the fact that I truly believe that Steve Jobs is the devil incarnate. Brandon has yet to get his grubby paws on the newest Apple sensation, the iPad. I mean, it's been released for 4 days already...I can't believe his restraint! So, of course, we must proceed to the nearest Apple Store...do not pass go, do not collect $200. The voices in my head are screaming, Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid, and I'm trying my best to contain my contempt for any product that starts with a little i.

Now let me explain that I do have an iPhone and I really do love it. BUT...I only have it because Brandon just HAD to have the newest version last year and cast his 1st generation phone to the side. And I actually bought him that 1st phone as a Christmas gift several years ago. I was so proud of myself for saving the $400 to buy it. So I was NOT going to let it just sit and go unused. But I digress...

We get to the Mall at Green Hills and immediately make a beeline for the Apple Store. When we rounded the corner, it was as if angels descended upon Brandon and he went toward the light with choirs singing in his ears. It was not that type of moment for me. The minute he got one in his hands, I knew I had lost him...

so I left to go shopping...there was nothing more I could do at that point. He found me about 30 minutes later and I could see his mental abacus overheating with calculations. It wouldn't surprise me if he had already posted For Sale ads for our cats and dog on Craigs List. It was so obvious that he was desperately trying to find the cash to fund his newest obsession. I'll spare you guys the dialog that ensued between us, but suffice it to say that it was not pretty.

Now if any of you know me very well, you already know how this ended up. So I won't keep everyone guessing. Of course Brandon got his precious iPad. There's very little that I deny this man...I'm such a sucker when it comes to him. However, to fund it, he's pretty much going to become an arms dealer and sell off a portion of his arsenal. I find it a little cannibalistic when I see one hobby get sacrificed for another.

So that brings us back to our hotel room. We've shopped, fought, and stuffed ourselves at the Cheesecake Factory. Now we're lounging in the room with 3 laptops, an iPad and free WiFi. Thanks Hampton Inn.

But I can at least say that I'm a little more relaxed about tomorrow.....for now. I'll let you know how it goes.

More to come...

3 comments:

  1. LOVE it Love it Love it!!!!!
    CRACKING me up!!!!
    and even though I'm heading out for vacay in the AM - I must say I'm a bit jealous of your relaxation mode right now!!
    picture this......
    me.....Adam.....Zack... Shelby (8)... Sydney (11), all squashed up at 9 AM tomorrow morning in my truck.......
    yeah.....
    I'm jealous of you all ;-)

    oh and PS - found out today that Christy and her BF will ALSO be in the G-burg the same time we are there!!!!!!!
    ummmmmmm..............
    jealous????????
    LMAO!

    anyway - hope all goes well tomorrow - you know I'm only a phone msg away if you need me!
    XOXO
    Tami G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the post... I give Brandon props for waiting a whole four days!!

    Good luck tomorrow! Sending you good vibes!!

    Talk soon.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, what you have to understand is.....

    I couldn't resist...Lucy and Jack have been fed.Good stuff in the fridg. Your post is great.
    Talk w/ you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete